Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I'm a runner again, baby!

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. And he is my orthopedic surgeon. I say this because:


1. He cleared me to run again (finally) - after 7 months of no running, and 5 months since surgery.
2. I went running immediately after my appointment, ran 2.35 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill, and did   not feel the slightest twinge of anything painful, sore, uncomfortable, awkward, or anything negative whatsoever. (Okay, I had a side cramp... but that actually made me laugh.)



I went to my appointment in my favorite tech shirt, favorite running shorts, the whole works. I wore my awesome new (free) shoes - the Saucony Kinvara 3s I won thanks to great Facebook friends. Once he gave me the go-ahead, I went straight to the YMCA that we re-joined earlier this summer and ran on the treadmill. Doc says he wants me sticking to safe running (aka - running tracks, treadmills, no downtown Charleston sidewalks). He also said to start off slow, and to not start by doing 5-mile runs or anything.

The beautiful thing is, I stopped at 30 minutes because I wanted to make sure nothing would get sore overnight. I want to run again in the morning. (THIS IS SO COOL TO BE ABLE TO SAY!) I did not stop because I was hurting. It felt GLORIOUS. Seriously. At about 2 minutes into the run, my eyes actually filled with tears. I know it won't always be where the angels are singing hallelujah in my ears, but darn, I'll enjoy it like this while I can. That was the most amazing and emotional run in a really long time. Probably since the NYC HM.

So yep, I'm going to get up early and do a morning run. Woo hoo!

Best part of all... my 2012 running log finally does not show as zero miles for the year. Now it's at 2.35. Yeah baby, yeah! Savannah here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment