Monday, April 30, 2012

I love talking about running!

So at PT today, my therapist told me that I may only have 2 PT sessions left. WHAT?!?!?! Okay, I know I should be going back to work next week, but I figured I'd still be fitting PT visits in there too. She says that all I'm working on now is strengthening and balancing, and I have achieved all of the goals I needed to to "finish". There will still be tons of exercises for me to do at home for the next few months but she said she wouldn't be surprised if the MD tells me next week that I don't need to go anymore.

Is it wrong that this makes me feel a little bit sad? I really, truly enjoy going to PT. I've made tons of progress. I guess I'm a little worried that I'll be "on my own" in the big world. I know I'd be able to call with any questions (the girls there are just flat-out amazing!) It's just a little scary.


So with that news, I decided to pick her brain about, well, running. I asked her what she thought I should do if the MD clears me to start running next week. I looked back at my weekly mileage and the last few weeks leading up to my injury, I was averaging 25 miles/week. She said with the 4-month layoff, to cut 50% of that for at least 4 weeks. So, 12-13 miles/week starting out. And that I have to go really, really slow. Which means no more speedwork for a long time (and that's okay, I don't really like speedwork, other than tempo runs. Ha.)

But 12-13 miles/week isn't too bad. I was literally picturing a Couch to 5K type program but she said I don't need to start from scratch. YIPPEE! Of course, she reminded me that the MD may have other ideas but that would be her recommendation.

(Edit to add: I also did 1.02 miles in 15 minutes on the treadmill today.)

On another note, I have started wearing my running shoes to PT the last couple of sessions. If I'm going to be on the treadmill, darnit, I'm going to wear my running shoes instead of my every-day wear sneakers. It's very motivating. Today that triggered the question as one of them complimented my cool Saucony Kinvara 2s - so I got to explain to everyone why I like these shoes and what makes them different and how awesome the new Kinvara 3s are that just came out last week. I should be a saleswoman for Saucony.

These are the Kinvara 2s that I wore today to PT (which currently have 255 miles on them):


I also have these Kinvara 2s, except I changed out the laces and found some awesome neon yellow ones that matched the bottom of the shoe (which have almost 100 miles on them):


And these are the Kinvara 3s that I really, really, really, really, really, really want (still can't decide what color to start with):


SOON!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. I like the blue ones (second from right)....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite are the purple and yellow on the left, but that color isn't released until July 1. D'oh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog when looking for information about hip injuries. I love those colorful shoes! Unfortunately, I need motion control, and they only seem to come in blue/white. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete