Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tomorrow, ACK!

Feeling a bit nervous about tomorrow's appointment with my orthopedic surgeon. It's weird. After 4.5 months, I expect him to release me to return to work and also to attempt running again. And although I'm really excited about both, I'm also getting really anxious.

What if I go to work on Thursday and it's way harder than I thought? What if after 4 hours, all I want to do is lie down? What if I'm just exhausted? What if my hip actually really hurts, when I haven't had pain in weeks? What if *gasp* I forget stuff I need to know for my job? I mean, darn, I haven't taken care of a patient since New Year's Eve. I am going to be way rusty. I miss my kids and my co-workers immensely and I need to feel like I'm contributing to the world again. I'd also like to earn a paycheck. I'm just way more nervous about this than I expected.

And then for running... What if I start running, follow all the suggestions from both MD and PT, and it is really really hard? Harder than it should be? I know I won't be fast. But what if every run is just painful and horribly slow and completely un-enjoyable? That would make me incredibly sad. I want running to give me all the same emotional highs and feelings of freedom and satisfaction and pride that it used to. But if it doesn't? Ugh.

I'm sure I'm just overanalyzing in typical Lori fashion. I guess I just really want to fast forward a couple of weeks and get past the growing pains of this.

2 comments:

  1. Lori,
    I just found out today I have a labral detachment on both hips. That is what the MRI showed. My hips don't kill me, but they hurt. Is a detachment the same as a tear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I understand, a detachment and a tear are similar but an actual tear is worse. You need to find out if you have FAI with it though - I believe the detachments are even more commonly associated with FAI. I was an anomaly with my injury; most labral tears are also due to FAI.

    ReplyDelete