Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Well, I got 1/2 of what I wanted.

1. MD released me to go to work. YAY! So I'm going TOMORROW!

2. MD did not release me to run. BOO.

So I admit, I understand where he's coming from. He went through my range of motion stuff and said I'm still really tight in a couple of directions. He said he is so incredibly more-than-pleased with my progress, but I still need to be further along before I attempt running again. He says we're still only 2.5 months from surgery and I need to be a little stronger because it was such a weird, out of this world injury.

When I do return to running, he asked that I avoid downtown Charleston and stick to flat, paved courses or tracks. That, I totally understand.

He still wants me going to PT but now just once a week instead of twice. So that's improvement. And I have no physical restrictions at all, other than running.

He suggested I spend lots of time on bikes, ellipticals, and swimming. I have no access to any of the above but will probably re-join the Summerville YMCA this week so that I have that access for the next couple of months. I need to do as much as I can because my cardiovascular fitness is still awful and although I have been doing lots of core and strength training, I have lost all aerobic ability. And I need to lose all the weight I've gained in the last 4.5 months.

So some good news, and some bad. I know it's for the best. But I want to run badly.

Finally, he said I will definitely be a case study that he wants to present in the future. I told him by all means. :)

1 comment:

  1. I just think it is fantastic news that you are able to return to work as soon as you are. I owe that to you, because you were in great shape, and young ( that you owe to me..lol).

    As far as the not running now, I fully agree. You need to get your strength back before doing something so tough to do. But over time you will be back in the groove of running, just not now...Patience my dear..

    I am so glad that you are getting back to the job that you are great at doing, thanks to Rachael...And you got that great news of returning back to work on her birthday...(Wow).

    We are so very proud of you for you all you do. Whether it be for the children at the hospital, being a great mother to Bella, and keeping Rachael alive by doing things surrounding her disease. If it hadnt been for Rachael, you definately would not be a fantastic nurse that you are, because you were wonderful with her.

    Love ya bunches my dear daughter,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete